[Lexicog] Thesaurus

Ronald Moe ron_moe at SIL.ORG
Fri Sep 26 18:56:08 UTC 2008

Several years ago I worked out a way to print a thesaurus from Toolbox. You
can download the instructions (ddp4_print_thesaurus.doc) from the DDP
website (http://www.sil.org/computing/ddp/index.htm). However this method
only exports the headword, but could be modified to also include the gloss.
It also does not produce headers and footers.

I believe you can do what you want by using Lexique Pro. I haven't actually
done it, but I believe it will do it easier and better than my system. I've
been experimenting and having trouble getting the most recent version of
Lexique Pro to behave. But at least I can speak to a few issues. Lexique Pro
produces a classified dictionary (which is not what you want). It exports
the entire entry, not just the relevant sense of the entry. This is a
problem, because a classified dictionary should classify senses, not
entries. If I understand you correctly, you want a glossed thesaurus. You
can get the desired publication out of Lexique Pro, but it will require a
few intermediate steps. The following are some general steps that you would
have to follow. I haven't tried to include all the details.

1.	Export your dictionary from Toolbox with just the fields \lx (or \lc
if you are using it), \se, \ge, and \is (or whatever field(s) you are using
to indicate your semantic domains.
2.	Load your database into a text editor like Word and use Find/Replace
to change \se to \lx (effectively turning each subentry into a main entry).
3.	Use a CC table to copy the \lx field for each sense (effectively
turning each sense into an entry).
4.	Reload your database into Toolbox in order to sort the entries and
check for any problems.
5.	Load your database into Lexique Pro and configure it to include a
"Categories" view.

I've attached the CC table that I use to split up an entry in step (3)
above. In case it doesn't come through, I've pasted the contents of the
table below. If you wanted to split the entry at the \ge field, you would
change '\is' to '\ge' in the first line of groups 3 and 4. Let me know if
you have any trouble making this work.

Ron Moe

@@@@@@@@

c splitent.cc Splits an entry whenever a field is encountered in the entry.

c Takes the following:

c \lx ambiguous

c \is 1.2.3

c \is 4.5.6

c \is 7.8.9

c and changes it into:

c \lx ambiguous

c \is 1.2.3

c \lx ambiguous

c \is 4.5.6

c \lx ambiguous

c \is 7.8.9

c Specify the field in the first line of groups 3 and 4.

group(1)

'\lx ' > store(1) dup use(2)

group(2)

nl '\' > nl endstore out(1) '\' back(1) use(3)

group(3)

'\is ' > dup use(4)

group(4)

'\is ' > nl out(1) dup