[Lexicog] lexical relation

lengosi pcunger at MSN.COM
Wed Apr 29 21:03:27 UTC 2009

Thanks for your helpful response, Ron. A lot more than I bargained on, but it certainly helped lay out the issue(s)! I'm wondering how to apply it, though ... All I wanted was a utilitarian means of helping the reader get from A to B; i.e., "I know /sororo/ but what was the word for 'slippery' again?!" Perhaps this has a lot to do with intended audience--I would expect speakers of the language to know the 'pair' (and not even think English 'slippery' when associating them)--but language learners / non-language speaking users would not be expected to know the pair. But in my (limited) experience, even language speaker are keen to point out related words, and it's my feeling that this should be reflected somehow in the dictionary.

At one level, just what /kind/ of relationship the words have is a not as important as /that/ they are related--to go to the entry for /sororo/ and find reference to /madali/ (and vice versa) is probably more helpful than not cross-referencing them at all. But, as you pointed out, determining and defining the relationship can be tricky, and it should have fairly wide application to be considered useful. So I'm back to where I started--wanting to demonstrate the relationship between the words and not quite knowing how to represent it. I'm aware of your penchant for semantic domains ;-), but even that has its challenges (at least in a dictionary with 'traditional' alphabetical layout)--how does the reader connect /sororo/ with semantic domain: 3.4.5.6 (completely made up) to /madali/ s.d.: 3.4.5.6? S.d. 3.4.5.6 is probably opaque to most dictionary readers ... Suddenly what I thought was a simple question has brought me to dictionary design philosophy! :-0

For now I'll probably make some kind of 'catch-all' lexical relation for fringe relations like 'slip' / 'slippery'--just to link them--and move on. Perhaps I can come back to this some day when I have more time and energy to spend on it. :-/

Paul

    mailto:lexicographylist-digest at yahoogroups.com
    mailto:lexicographylist-fullfeatured at yahoogroups.com