[Lexicog] Re: Capitalisation of Common Names

Greg and Heather Mellow gh_mellow at SIL.ORG
Tue Dec 15 10:50:21 UTC 2009

Apparently there is some controversy about how to capitalise (or capitalize) the common names of plants and animals.

The great white shark and the tiger shark can apparently be written with minuscule, but Cattle Egret and Snowy Egret are written with capitals. The names River Red Gum and Common Daisy are written with capitals, but poison dart frog and cane toad can be written with minuscule.

If I use a combination of capitals and non-capitals for animals and plants, the dictionary will look inconsistent. I have already been 'corrected' for not using capitals, and again for using capitals.

What is common practice among lexicographers of minority languages?

Regards, Greg