[Lexicog] Re: Capitalisation of Common Names

Chaz Mortensen - work chaz_mortensen at SIL.ORG
Tue Dec 15 11:29:18 UTC 2009

Greg,

Have you checked with a consultant yet? We use all lower-case. I think
for dictionary entries they ought to be the same.

I think the problem is that some species are named for areas, the
names of which are capitalized. So "River Red gum" (gum tree found
near the River Red?) looks inconsistent. But River Red has to be
capitalized. However, River Red Gum looks like something that comes in
commercial packaging and is chewed. On the other hand, if it is a red
gum tree found near rivers you wouldn't necessarily capitalize it.

If you have a bird book (or tree book or fish book), the species are
always capitalized.

SO what to do? Like I say, we use lower-case, but then again our
species names aren't based on named locations, although there are
mountain macaws, black palm macaws, blood macaws, etc. If you indeed
have species names based on named locations OR the consultant (or the
community) insists you capitalize the entries AND it still looks
inconsistent to you, you can always make special sections for birds,
toads and frogs, ocean fish, river fish, etc. Some dictionaries have
these with illustrations as well. Here the names would be capitalized
as in a bird book.

Best wishes and beware of those who favor birds and flowers over
against sharks and poison-dart frogs. (Any Dendrobates?)

-Chaz