[Lexicog] Using old dictionaries

langwijmijij anggarrgoon at GMAIL.COM
Thu Dec 17 19:16:02 UTC 2009

> Hmm, it's hard to believe that something like that hasn't happened yet
> -- perhaps some such precedents have already been recorded (?)

I can tell you what happened when Philip M. Parker republished a lot of language materials without the permission of the authors. Everyone I spoke to felt that although it was probably technically legal, it made a lot of people very angry that he did not ask (even though contact details for the relevant people were easily available), that he took material that had fair use  agreement statements that we felt he did not adhere to, that he republished material without attribution or any acknowledgement of the source, and he did so with sufficiently little care as to what he was copying that numerous errors were introduced, both from fonts and through automatically changing certain translations. This meant the resulting materials were less useful to language learners.

Some information here: http://blogs.usyd.edu.au/elac/2008/07/copy_right_peter_k_austin.html and here: http://tulugaq.wordpress.com/2008/08/13/adventures-in-font-mishaps-inupiaq-dictionary/

Claire

    lexicographylist-digest at yahoogroups.com
    lexicographylist-fullfeatured at yahoogroups.com