[Lexicog] Using old dictionaries

Martin Benjamin martin at KAMUSI.ORG
Thu Dec 17 16:29:22 UTC 2009

We did this years ago at kamusi.org .  One of the made-up entries was
Swahili "sega" = English "videogame".  Imagine my surprise several years
later to be visiting with a family in Dar es Salaam and listening to a
little boy begging to be allowed to play his "sega" - in the years in
between, the technology had moved into Tanzania, and my made-up term had
made it into the actual lexicon :)

On the other hand, that didn't stop some company from copying all our
data and putting it into a program they offered for sale as a "universal
translator".  In part because of sega, we could prove that the data was
taken in contravention of the copyright notice, but it would have taken
an expensive legal suit to actually enforce the ownership :(

Map-makers often do something similar, such as altering the location of
a bridge on a minor road by a small distance.

Cheers,
Martin

David Joffe wrote:

> I have actually seen this done. Apart from 'made-up' words, a few
> 'obscure' proper names may also be added throughout.
>
> - David (Joffe)
>
> On 17 Dec 2009 at 9:32, Chaz Mortensen - work wrote:
>
> To: lexicographylist at yahoogroups.com
> <mailto:lexicographylist%40yahoogroups.com>
> From: Chaz Mortensen - work <chaz_mortensen at sil.org
> <mailto:chaz_mortensen%40sil.org>>
> Date sent: Thu, 17 Dec 2009 09:32:24 -0500
> Subject: Re: [Lexicog] Using old dictionaries
> Send reply to: lexicographylist at yahoogroups.com
> <mailto:lexicographylist%40yahoogroups.com>
>
>  >
>  >
>  > David,
>  >
>  > I have considered doing the same thing in case my work falls into the
>  > wrong person's hands.
>  >
>  > -Chaz
>  >
>  > On Dec 17, 2009, at 9:20 AM, David Frank wrote:
>  >
>  > I remember learning from my dialectology professor (some 30+ years
> ago) that a practice among
>  > dictionary publishers was to throw in a made-up entry or two, so that
> if those spurious entries showed
>  > up in someone else's dictionary, plagiarism could be proven.
>  >
>  >
>  > Reply to sender | Reply to group
>  > Messages in this topic (8)
>  > Recent Activity:
>  > * New Members 2
>  > Visit Your Group Start a New Topic
> ---
> TLex Dictionary Production Systems
> Follow our news via http://tshwanedje.blogspot.com/
> <http://tshwanedje.blogspot.com/> or
> http://twitter.com/tshwanedje <http://twitter.com/tshwanedje>

Dr. Martin Benjamin
Executive Director, Kamusi Project International
http://kamusi.org

mobile (Swiss#): +41.78.904.9405
landline (US# via internet): +1.203.599.1920

twitter (work): kamusiproject
twitter (personal): malangali

skype: piperzen
yahoo: piperzen