[Lexicog] A bit of orientation needed! (Dictionary Solftware)

Wayne Leman wayne_leman at SIL.ORG
Sun Feb 15 17:25:30 UTC 2009

Mike, you are right. But it may be that Jorcaiba simply wants to use
software which will allow him to enter and view data from any of the Romance
languages. He may not need to have definitions in each language. If this is
the case, then I know that Lexique Pro can handle the data, since I am
currently working on the equivalent of a multi-language project using
Lexique Pro. I am entering data so it is displayed separately by any of the
languages in the database within Lexique Pro. To access the data of any
language I simply click on the Lexique Pro tab for that language.

Toolbox may be able to handle multi-language data, also, but Toolbox does
not have as user-friendly interface. Lexique Pro's interface is quite good.
Of course, both programs can use the same database. I seldom use Toolbox
anymore. I can start and maintain my databases entirely from within Lexique
Pro. If there is a need to do something which Lexique Pro is not designed
for, such as interlinearization, I can use Toolbox for that job.

Wayne
Ninilchik Russian
http://ninilchik.noadsfree.com

jorcaiba wrote:
> For the last two years I've
> been trying to develop a multilingual dictionary of Latin and ALL the
> Romance languages, but haven't found the right (free) software for it.

Most dictionary software available on the open market or for free is
designed for bilingual dictionaries. Multilingual dictionaries
introduce other problems, especially what the data structure is going to
be, and how you link entries in different languages together.

<snip>

Sorry, that's probably not the answer you want to hear. But
dictionaries are much more complex than they might appear, and
multi-lingual dictionaries are much more complex than bilingual
dictionaries. Perhaps someone in this group has had more experience
than I have; I've worked with multi-dialectal dictionaries, where some
of the same problems arise.

(BTW, do you really mean *all* Romance languages? including Aragonese,
Catalan, Romansh, Romanian, Occitan, Ladino, Galician...)

Mike Maxwell
CASL/ U MD

    mailto:lexicographylist-digest at yahoogroups.com
    mailto:lexicographylist-fullfeatured at yahoogroups.com