[Lexicog] extinguish ~ die

David Joffe david.joffe at TSHWANEDJE.COM
Tue Feb 17 00:21:34 UTC 2009

Extinguishing is an 'active' act - something done purposely to
kill/snuff the fire - while 'what happens to a fire if no more fuel
is added to it' sounds like it implies a fire just dying by itself
through *inaction* - which are you looking for?

On 16 Feb 2009 at 12:23, Wayne Leman wrote:

> I'm having a senior moment, or maybe it reflects an actual lexical
> lacuna in English. Anyway, right now I can't think of an English word
> for what happens to a fire if no more fuel is added to it. Of course,
> we can say that it "dies." And I am including 'die' and 'go out'
> glosses in a Russian dialect dictionary I am working on. But I would
> also like to include a gloss, if there is one, which is not
> semantically extended from its core meaning, as "die" and 'go out' are
> in English. I think that "extinguish" is only transitive. Does it have
> an intransitive counterpart of any kind, even if it is a different
> lexeme?
>
> Thanks,
> Wayne
> -----