[Lexicog] extinguish ~ die

Wayne Leman wayne.leman at GMAIL.COM
Tue Feb 17 00:57:19 UTC 2009

Thanks for everyone for your answers:

David Joffe wrote:

>Extinguishing is an 'active' act - something done purposely to
>kill/snuff the fire - while 'what happens to a fire if no more fuel
>is added to it' sounds like it implies a fire just dying by itself
>through *inaction* - which are you looking for?

I'm looking for any word other than 'die out', 'die', or 'go out' for what
happends to a fire when then is inaction, no one puts more fuel on it. I
suspect there isn't an English word other than the words that others and I
have already listed here. I was hoping there might be another word, since
each of these words is semantically extended to refer to the "dying" action
of a fire.

Wayne Leman

    mailto:lexicographylist-digest at yahoogroups.com
    mailto:lexicographylist-fullfeatured at yahoogroups.com