[Lexicog] Re: extinguish ~ die

David Frank david_frank at SIL.ORG
Tue Feb 17 14:16:55 UTC 2009

Wayne --

I know you consider your question already answered, but I just thought I would add this:

Proverbs 26:20
Where no wood is, there the fire goeth out: so where there is no talebearer, the strife ceaseth. (KJV)

For lack of wood the fire goes out; and where there is no whisperer, quarreling ceases. (RSV)

Without wood a fire goes out; without gossip a quarrel dies down. (NIV)

Where there is no fuel a fire goes out; where there is no gossip arguments come to an end. (CEV)

Fire goes out for lack of fuel, and quarrels disappear when gossip stops. (NLT)

The consensus there is that without fuel, a fire "goes out."

-- David Frank

    mailto:lexicographylist-digest at yahoogroups.com
    mailto:lexicographylist-fullfeatured at yahoogroups.com