[Lexicog] Re: A bit of orientation needed! (Dictionary Solftware)

Mike Maxwell maxwell at LDC.UPENN.EDU
Tue Feb 17 14:22:55 UTC 2009

jorcaiba wrote:
> Mike, you've sayd:
>
> --- In lexicographylist at yahoogroups.com, Mike Maxwell <maxwell at ...> wrote:
>  > If you use something non-free-form (like
>  > a relational database), then you have a programming issue.
>
> What's that?

Setting up a relational database requires a good deal of modeling and
planning how the data is going to be organized, edited, and output.
Much of that work has already been done for you in lexicon-specific tools.

That said, I have done very little work with relational databases, and I
know that some of them give you visual tools so that you can avoid
programming in SQL (the standard language for relational databases),
which might help you avoid some of the work (but not the modeling).
Perhaps someone on this list has used some of those tools and can comment.

There is a list of lexicon tools at the E-MELD site, see
http://emeld.org/school/toolroom/software/index.cfm.  Unfortunately, and
despite the site's best efforts at getting people to contribute reviews,
it would be hard to choose a lexicon tool based on the information
there.  I say that as a past participant in most of the E-MELD meetings;
I just haven't had the time to contribute.

    Mike Maxwell
    CASL/ U MD

    mailto:lexicographylist-digest at yahoogroups.com
    mailto:lexicographylist-fullfeatured at yahoogroups.com