[Lexicog] A bit of orientation needed! (Dictionary Solftware)

Hayim Sheynin hayim.sheynin at GMAIL.COM
Tue Feb 17 14:49:17 UTC 2009

Dear Jose Luiz,

Everything depends on the aims of the composer and on intended audience.
Sometimes etymology becomes important, especially in the cases when
the words in different languages of the same genetic family are coming
from different sources. Also, there are many cases when the etymology
sheds light on the meaning (=definition). In my opinion the linguist can not
and should not ignore the etymology, especially in such a neat group as
Romance languages. I have in mind not only words of Latin provenance, but
also borrowed words which indicate language contacts separate for each of
languages of the group, e.g. Arabic and Berber and other oriental words in
 Iberian Romance against Slavic and Turkish words in Rumanian and
Moldavian, as well as Hebrew, Turkish and Greek words in Judeo-Spanish.

This is my humble opinion and credo as a linguist,

Hayim Sheynin