[Lexicog] extinguish ~ die

Wayne Leman wayne_leman at SIL.ORG
Thu Feb 19 17:33:18 UTC 2009

"ghoing" would work in my database, David (Tuggy), since the Russian dialect
word for 'fire' is agóin', in this case the same as standard Russian, ОГОНЬ.
But in this dialect there came a point where there was mixing of Russian and
English, as the Alaskan villagers transitioned from Russian to English.
There are wonderful stories with sentences where speakers say parts of
both languages and something goes awry (a kind of Russian bread, I think!).

Now we just have to find some cognate for "ghits".

:-)

Wayne Leman

> On the contrary, when it really ghits ghoing!

--dt

    mailto:lexicographylist-digest at yahoogroups.com
    mailto:lexicographylist-fullfeatured at yahoogroups.com