[Lexicog] Re: Sports Sprachgef ühling

Richard Rhodes rrhodes at BERKELEY.EDU
Tue Feb 24 03:11:18 UTC 2009

Scott,
	This is a nice list. And think you're
categorizing it well. But at some point you need
to divide it into true technical vocabulary used
by the practitioners and the borrowings of those
usages into or from the standard language. Take
touch.
	In soccer, for example, touch has two specialized senses:
1) The phrase in(to) touch means out of bounds
along the sidelines (probably because the next
play is to throw the ball in, i.e., you can
legally touch it with your hands).
2) Touch is a special case of pace. Pace is the
amount of force you put on the ball when you kick
it. It applies especially to passes. Touch is the
amount of pace that gets the ball to its intended
location quickly enough w.r.t. the game
situation, but without so much pace that an
appropriately skilled player has to work to
control the ball on receiving it. In this sense
it often occurs in the phrase with touch. It's
easy to see the affinity of this usage with the
standard language usage in a phrase like He has a
light touch, which I suspect is not a sports
metaphor at all.

Also

	ball sense is about reaction to the path of the ball
	ball skills are about abilities to make the ball do things

They aren't synonyms at all. (It looks like you
mean that the way you wrote your first example.)

Rich

    Richard A. Rhodes
    Department of Linguistics
    University of California