[Lexicog] Tools to help us much: Fieldworks, WeSay and LexiquePro

Ronald Moe ron_moe at SIL.ORG
Mon Jan 12 15:46:36 UTC 2009

Emmanuel Habumuremyi wrote:

"Let's close my message with admirable Semantic Domains by Ron. I hope a new
version with current concepts like the ones in ICT will be out soon."

I'm currently working on DDP version 5 and I'm looking for suggestions on
how to improve the list of semantic domains. Could you tell me what ICT is?
I'm not familiar with the abbreviation.

Thanks,

Ron Moe

  _____

From: lexicographylist at yahoogroups.com
[mailto:lexicographylist at yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Emmanuel HABUMUREMYI
Sent: Sunday, January 11, 2009 5:38 AM
To: lexicographylist at yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [Lexicog] Tools to help us much: Fieldworks, WeSay and
LexiquePro

Dear members of the group,

I am very happy to wish you a prosperous year. Allow me to tell you what I
noticed in the new testing release of the software mentioned in the Subject.
Starting by Fieldworks, this is really a tool which responds to the
linguist's need of collecting and organizing data to be retrieved at the
right time. For me it is "All in One" tool.

As far as LexiquePro is concerned, I have not much to say since it speaks by
itself. Basing on its current test version, the feature of searching words
based on their PoS pleased me and helped in correcting some mistakes in my
database.

Concerning WeSay, I am afraid it is going to replace all other tools we are
using since it is integrating all our needs in word collection! This is not
a dramatization. The fact that one can look at his/her work in LexiquePro
without quitting WeSay, making a PDF Dictionary in very few seconds, and
exporting Fieldwoks dictionary data in LIFT which is compatible with WeSay
encourage me in my work. Even though WeSay is its in early stage of
development,and improvement is needed for some features, this is a tool for
our future linguistic carrier.

Let's close my message with admirable Semantic Domains by Ron. I hope a new
version with current concepts like the ones in ICT will be out soon.

Try these tools, you will tell me.

Emmanuel Habumuremyi
National University of Rwanda

7:04 AM