[Lexicog] Newbie

Mike Maxwell maxwell at LDC.UPENN.EDU
Tue Jan 20 17:33:06 UTC 2009

Ronald Moe wrote:
> The best background for a lexicographer is a degree in linguistics. You
> would need a good all-round program with courses in phonetics,
> phonology, morphology, syntax, discourse grammar, socio-linguistics,
> historical linguistics, and semantics.

I would mostly defer to Ron, who knows a lot more about lexicography
than I ever will.  However, I would also say that a lot depends on what
kind of lexicography you want to do, for what purpose, and in what
languages.  If you want to work on English for popular dictionaries, for
example, that's one thing (and, I would think, a pretty filled-up
field).  If you want to work on literate languages which are spoken by
sizable minorities in certain countries, such as Catalan in Europe or
perhaps Telegu in India, then that's a different question.  Or if you
want to work on endangered languages, or lexicography for computational
purposes, those are still different.

General linguistics is probably a good start for any of these (along
with computational linguistics), but the emphasis within linguistics
would--I think--vary widely.

    Mike Maxwell

    mailto:lexicographylist-digest at yahoogroups.com
    mailto:lexicographylist-fullfeatured at yahoogroups.com