[Lexicog] Male first name "The blessed one"

Hayim Sheynin hayim.sheynin at GMAIL.COM
Thu Jan 22 21:43:39 UTC 2009

Fritz,

Of course most or all Jewish languages (live or extinct, they are about two
dozen) have name Barukh or Mevorakh. Many Semitic languages have equivalents
of Hebrew Barukh or Arabic Muba(r)rak. Nevertheless most of Biblical names
are theophorical by nature (pay attantion for initial Yo- or Yeho- or
suffix-like -el, -ahu).
It seems to me that in some European languages the semantic equivalents are
of slightly different etimology: a type of "given by God" [Theodor(e),
Fe(o)dor, Bogdan] or "loved by God" [like Gottlieb].

I hope, this helps,

Hayim Sheynin