[Lexicog] Export .pdf from FLEx???

Tsvi Sadan ts at TS-CYBERIA.NET
Wed Jan 28 04:52:23 UTC 2009

> I am building a lexicon in SIL's Fieldworks Language Explorer, and
> now that I'm getting some bulk to my dictionary I want to export it
> as a pdf and check out how it looks. I am NOT familiar with XML
> files, or what to do with them once you've exported them. I
> understand that XML files are viewable in a web browser, but pdf is
> much more practical and useful for email, etc. My question is how do
> I export to a pdf, or convert the xml (from "Dictionary View") to
> pdf.

I may be wrong, but as far as I know, there is no direct way to export a
FLEx lexicon to PDF. I do the following (unfortunately, it takes several
steps):

1) Export from FLEx to Lexique Pro (http://www.lexique.pro/):
Menu -> File -> Export Lexicon -> Lexicon: MDF Standard Format
2) Import from FLEx to Lexique Pro:
Menu -> File -> Open
3) Export as an ODT document:
Menu -> File -> Export as Document
4) Convert to PDF with OpenOffice.org Writer

Lexique Pro also allows you to export a lexicon as an HTML document.

The following webpages of mine on FLEx and Lexique Pro may interest you;
they are based on the materials I prepared for a workshop about these
two programs I organized and taught some time ago:
http://www.ts-cyberia.net/flex.html
http://www.ts-cyberia.net/lexiquepro.html

You may also be interested in joining FLEx mailing list:
http://groups.google.com/group/flex-list/

--
Tsvi Sadan (Tsuguya Sasaki)
Department of Hebrew and Semitic Languages
ts at ts-cyberia.net
http://www.ts-cyberia.net/

    mailto:lexicographylist-digest at yahoogroups.com
    mailto:lexicographylist-fullfeatured at yahoogroups.com