[Lexicog] Potential words

dick_watson at SIL.ORG dick_watson at SIL.ORG
Thu Jul 9 15:53:54 UTC 2009

Hi Richard,

I used this method with a Mon-Khmer language many years ago just to
collect words, but I also checked it against my CVC distribution chart and
found certain combinations that were avoided for unknown reasons--maybe
they didn't sound good or carried bad connotations--and certain areas for
special use. The one that I remember is that children's given names shared
an area on the distribution chart that was not used for anything else.
This was particularly interesting because their is a sanction against
using the same name as anyone else known to be living or dead. I guess
that a population explosion could force them into using other areas for
making names.

Dick

Hi Richard,

I did this kind of thing in the early days of our language project in PNG.
I had worked out the consonant and vowel phonemes for Amele and that word
roots could be one, two or three syllables. I then had someone at Ukarumpa
High School write a program (this was in 1978) to generate possible word
roots in Amele based on the phoneme inventory and the syllable patterns.
The lists for the one and two syllable roots weren't too long but the list
for the three syllable roots was enormous! I then distributed these lists
to various Amele people for them to try and identify actual word roots.
They thought this was great fun. But the hard work was then confirming
that the roots indicated were actual words and what their meaning and
usage were.

Another SIL member I know (who I met again just recently) used the same
method for their language project. He said when he gave the lists out to
people one of the men asked, "Do you want all the dirty words too?"

But as I recall, this method of "generating" words in a language was
somewhat frowned upon by the linguistic establishment in SIL-PNG in those
days. But I found I got a lot of words that I might not have got hold of
otherwise - such as taboo words.

I believe there is software available in SIL now that can do this kind of
thing for you. You don't have to ask a high schooler to do it for you. Oh,
and the people you are working with need to be literate in their own
language.

John Roberts

Richard Gravina wrote:
I'm interested in knowing more about the method of data collection based
on 'potential' words. This is where you create lists of artificial words
by randomly combining letters, and then go through the lists with native
speakers to see if the words actually exist in the language.

Does anyone have any experience of using this? Do you know of any
resources or software that would help?

Richard Gravina