[Lexicog] Potential words

billposer at ALUM.MIT.EDU billposer at ALUM.MIT.EDU
Thu Jul 9 20:41:19 UTC 2009

Mike Krauss told me that he went through a list of all phonotactically possible
roots in Eyak in order to find any he had missed by other means.

I wrote a program for generating possible words a while back at the
request of Dan Everett. It can be downloaded from:

	http://billposer.org/Software/WordGenerator.html

It lets you define the shapes for Core, Sole, Initial, and Final
syllables in terms of the units of your choice (onset/rhyme, onset,
nucleus, coda, etc.) and then define the set of segments that can appear
in each of those positions. You then set the maximum number of syllables
to generate. It updates the number of words that will be generated as you
modify the parameters, so you will be warned if you are going to generate
some insane number of words (which you can easily do). If you wish, it will
select a random subset of the words.

It runs on GNU/Linux and pretty much any other version of Unix, Mac OS X,
and MS Windows.

Bill

    mailto:lexicographylist-digest at yahoogroups.com
    mailto:lexicographylist-fullfeatured at yahoogroups.com