[Lexicog] Potential words

Richard Gravina Richard-Sue_Gravina at SIL.ORG
Fri Jul 10 15:47:15 UTC 2009

Thanks everyone for the experiences and resources!

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Mike Maxwell
  To: lexicographylist at yahoogroups.com
  Sent: Friday, July 10, 2009 12:51 AM
  Subject: Re: [Lexicog] Potential words

  Richard Gravina wrote:
  > Does anyone have any experience of using this? Do you know of any
  > resources or software that would help?

  The "Great Tzotzil Dictionary" used this method, which was well suited
  since roots in that language are nearly all CV(C). It's worth reading
  the intro, which is at the same time instructive and hilarious. You can
  find a PDF image copy of it here:

  http://www.eric.ed.gov/ERICWebPortal/custom/portlets/recordDetails/detailmini.jsp?_nfpb=true&_&ERICExtSearch_SearchValue_0=ED126709&ERICExtSearch_SearchType_0=no&accno=ED126709

  (If that URL gets mangled, do a web search for "ED126709 - The Great
  Tzotzil Dictionary of San Lorenzo Zinacantan." Best to use the quotes.)

  The dictionary was funded by the Smithsonian, and won one of Senator
  Proxmire's infamous Golden Fleece awards, as a waste of taxpayer money.

  (I'm making some of this up, so perhaps someone will need to correct
  me...)

  Mike Maxwell