[Lexicog] Dictionaries on Historical Principles

nighat.khawar nighat.khawar at YAHOO.COM
Sat Jul 18 15:49:28 UTC 2009

As far as I know "The New English Dictionary on Historical Principles" (The Philological Society/OUP) was the first ever dictionary on historical principles. I am trying to assemble a list of other languages that have such comprehensive dictionaries in printed form. I have come across of a few web based dictionaries on historical principles, but my query is about the ones that have been printed.

A visit to the local library and obligatory google search did not reveal much. Here is what I have gathered so far:

While searching the archives of this list, I found the description of "Geiriadur Prifysgol Cymru", the University of Wales Dictionary of the Welsh Language. I also learnt that the Ladino-English comprehensive dictionary was compiled but not published. Elsewhere, I read that work on "The Historical Dictionary of the Hebrew Language" is in process. So is one for Urdu in Pakistan. Then we have the "Dictionary of the Older Scottish Tongue" and the "Scottish National Dictionary". French has La Curne de Sainte-Palaye's "Historical dictionary of old French langage ou Glosary of French langage from it origin to Louis XIV century". I also read the description of "A Historical Dictionary of Yukaghir" and "The Historical Dictionary of the Belarusian Language".

In addition to the above, I found that there are several dictionaries of the English languages, such as:

- The Australian National Dictionary: A Dictionary of Australianisms on Historical Principles
- The Dictionary of New Zealand English: A Dictionary of New Zealandisms on Historical Principles
- A Dictionary of Americanisms on Historical Principles
- Dictionary of Canadianisms on Historical Principles

I also spotted this dictionary: "German Loanwords in English: An Historical Dictionary". And, slang, too: "Random House Historical Dictionary of American Slang" and OUP's "Historical Dictionary of American Slang".

Help me collect more information about dictionaries on historical principles. You may write off-list to me, and I will compile the replies and post it on the list.

NK

    mailto:lexicographylist-digest at yahoogroups.com
    mailto:lexicographylist-fullfeatured at yahoogroups.com