[Lexicog] Dictionaries on Historical Principles

Hayim Sheynin hayim.sheynin at GMAIL.COM
Sun Jul 19 01:47:35 UTC 2009

Ladino-Hebrew comprehensive dictionary was published by Dr. Avner Perez and
Gladys Pimienta
in Israel. ISBN: 978-965-7408-01-8
This dictionary lists 50,410 words collected from over 25 other
dictionaries, but nevertheless it is far to be comprehensive. Just the
printed sources since the 16th cent. to the present time contain many words
which were not included, not to speak about very rich folklore of the
Sephardic Jews. Also the compilers do not mark chronological frame of words'
use, nor document the dialect or source.

Dictionnaire du Judéo-espagnol par Joseph Nehama; avec la colloboration de
Jesús Cantera, Madrid, CSIC,
1977; 2nd ed., France: Les Éditions de la Lettre Sépharade, 2003
is also built on the same principles, but is not comprehensive, since it is
based mostly on Salonican dialect.

This two dictionaries are the most representative of Ladino language. The
other existing Ladino dictionaries
are less in scope and usually represent one dialect or one dialectal group.
There are also special dictionaries
of foreign words, vocabularies of proverbs, school vocabularies, etc.

Long time ago there was an attempt of compiling a (comprehensive)
Diccionario Ladino-Hebreo in Ben-Zvi Institute, Jerusalem, but the only
material that was published are two tentative fasciscules:
1.Diccionario Ladino-Hebreo. Páginas de muestra. Jerusalem: Ben-Zvi Inst.,
Hebrew University, 1963, 6 cols.
2. Diccionario Ladino-Hebreo. Fascisculo de muestra / Redactado por Moshe
Lazar y colaboradores. Jerusalem: Ben-Zvi Inst., 1976. LII, 110 p.

The handwritten cards of this project are still preserved in the Ben-Zvi
Institute, but it is unknown, whether
the dictionary will ewer be printed.

Some time ago I endeavored compilation of Comprehensive Ladino-English
Dictionary, but my labor of four
years was lost due to the crush of the computer. Moreover in the process of
compilation I understood, that
this should be a team work. A separate compiler has to limit the scope of
his work. Otherwise it will not be finished.

Hayim Sheynin