[Lexicog] a student dictionary

Naomi Keith naomi_keith at SIL.ORG
Wed Jul 29 01:05:42 UTC 2009

Hi there,

We are in the process of making an English-Matigsalug student dictionary
aimed at being a resource for non-native English speakers. We are using
Toolbox, and are aiming for a fairly standard MDF structure.  However, it is
not completely standard, as it appears that Toolbox is more designed to use
English as a metalanguage, not as the focus language.

At the moment, the English fields are encoded with \?e, and the Matigsalug
fields are encoded with \?v.  Upon importing into Lexique Pro, it doesn't
seem possible to print the English example sentences, because MDF appears to
treat them as a translation field for another language, not a 'stand-alone'
example field.

Does anyone have any suggestions about how to deal with this? I though
perhaps of making English the \?v field, and Matigsalug the \?n (national
language) - not strictly correct, but it would solve the problem, perhaps,
and would make the database more 'standard' in some ways.

Thanks very much,

Naomi Keith