[Lexicog] copyright-free images for use in dictionary

Greg Aumann Greg_Aumann at SIL.ORG
Tue Jun 16 05:40:27 UTC 2009

billposer at alum.mit.edu wrote:

> While local photos are good for many things, there are also many
> situations in which a simple sketch is more useful than a photo.
> (Consider internal body parts, or some external ones where some
> people would find a photo objectionable but not a sketch.)
> Freely available collections of such drawings would be useful.

I think the best collection of line drawings is:

International Illustrations: Art of Reading 2.0 is a collection of over
11,000 images. The collection is designed for use in the preparation of
a wide variety of literacy and educational materials, such as
shellbooks, primers, news-sheets, posters, and other culturally
appropriate materials. These images are black and white line drawings
collected from SIL and national artists from around the world. The
drawings are compressed in TIF format for Windows and Mac (classic mode
in OS X) so no installation is required. Just insert the CD and use the
files.

see http://www.sil.org/literacy/materials/illustrations/cd.htm

Because of the cataloguing software copying the CD is not permitted but
the images themselves are freely redistributable without royalties. Also
they come from a wide range of parts of the world so there is a good
chance of finding something culturally appropriate.

Greg

    mailto:lexicographylist-digest at yahoogroups.com
    mailto:lexicographylist-fullfeatured at yahoogroups.com