[Lexicog] data format

lengosi pcunger at MSN.COM
Tue Jun 30 02:19:59 UTC 2009

Let's say someone had a 'hard' copy of a dictionary that they wanted to make 'soft' (digital). The dictionary in question was prepared to help school children (of a minority language) to learn English. It has entries arranged according to English head word with an English definition or example sentence followed by a 'language' equivalent (either of the headword or the example sentence [this is presumption on my part--I don't know the language]). For example:

able
 a small child is able to walk    silo ala meqora ta o rovea talio

accurate
 without any mistake     korokoroti

accuse
 blame     kuiripato

ache
 my head aches     anako lezu ta tola

Given this kind of dictionary, what would you do? Create a text document? With / without backslash codes? Use FLEx (or some dictionary building equivalent (Toolbox, We Say))? Looking for suggestions,

Paul

    mailto:lexicographylist-digest at yahoogroups.com
    mailto:lexicographylist-fullfeatured at yahoogroups.com