(Fwd) Re: [Lexicog] dialect tagging

David Joffe david.joffe at TSHWANEDJE.COM
Tue Jun 30 12:15:48 UTC 2009

What's more, you can actually then potentially do additional
'interesting' things with that data - for example, show or hide
information or entries of certain dialects only, or see detailed
statistics about the various dialects. (TshwaneLex is designed to be
good at just this sort of thing.)

 - David

To:	lexicographylist at yahoogroups.com
Priority:	normal
From:	"David Joffe" <david.joffe at tshwanedje.com>
Date sent:	Tue, 30 Jun 2009 14:04:33 +0200
Subject:	Re: [Lexicog]  dialect tagging
Send reply to:	lexicographylist at yahoogroups.com

I think this could be done very nicely in TshwaneLex using the 'F2
lists' i.e. multi-selection closed lists (and simply attaching the
'dialect' list to all the elements where you want to tag this
information as relevant). If you look at the screenshot at:

http://tshwanedje. com/tshwanelex/overview.html#mu2

you'll see it shows a part of speech list that is a list of
checkboxes. You can set up any such list you want in TshwaneLex, and
attach it to any element you want. So you could easily have a list
of dialects.

TshwaneLex is definitely being used for multilingual dictionaries.

- David

On 29 Jun 2009 at 23:47, Mike Maxwell wrote:

> I got an inquiry today about lexicon software which can handle multiple
> dialects (like 20 of them). The design requirement is that most any
> piece of information (ranging from entire lexemes to individual senses
> to alternative pronunciations and grammatical fields) be taggable by
> dialect. So for example the pronunciation field of one lexeme might be
> tagged as being relevant to dialects a, c, d...n, while another
> pronunciation field of that same lexeme might be tagged for dialect b,
> and another for dialects e and f. For another lexeme, there might be
> just one pronunciation field untagged for dialects, with the
> interpretation that it's pronounced the same in all dialects.
>
> Or you might tag a sense field for dialects fgh, meaning that it was
> only relevant for those dialects (think "trunk of a car" as a sense for
> 'boot').
>
> I know we've gone around and around on that with FLEx; it's fairly clear
> how to model it, but not clear how to implement it efficiently. And
> afaik, it's not likely to be implemented soon, since the FLEx developers
> are talking refactoring over this next year.
>
> It's also virtually impossible to do (cleanly) with Toolbox, because
> there are (afaik) no two-part fields; you can't have, say,
> \pron acdn foobar
> \pron b fuubar
> \pron ef fobar
> --or at least if you do, you can't maintain it consistently.
>
> I don't see much on the TshwaneLex web page about dialects, although one
> of their flyers does mention that it has been used in multi-lingual
> projects. Does anyone have any experience using TshwaneLex for this
> kind of multi-dialect dictionary? Or any other software?
> --
> Mike Maxwell
> What good is a universe without somebody around to look at it?
> --Robert Dicke, Princeton physicist

---
http://tshwanedje.com/
TshwaneDJe Human Language Technology