[Lexicog] Equivalents of "It's Greek to me"

Rudolph Troike rtroike at EMAIL.ARIZONA.EDU
Wed Mar 11 17:45:17 UTC 2009

Howdy, all,

   A colleague forwarded this link to me, and I thought you-all might like
to see it:

http://strangemaps.wordpress.com/2009/02/26/362-greek-to-me-mapping-mutual-incomprehension/

   As he explained it:
It maps out the relationship of how languages represent 'it's Greek to me' or
incomprehensibility--the map shows us that English refers to Greek, but other
languages refer to others--so in Italian they say 'it's Arabic to me', and in
Croatian they say 'it's Spanish to me'--while in Greek, as in many other
languages apparently, they say 'it's Chinese to me'--most of the referents
must be historical in nature

   I think there was some discussion of this topic on this list awhile back.
I don't know who made the map, and can't vouch for its accuracy, but it is
an interesting effort to represent this expression visually, and might
suggest some ways to represent other concepts/expressions cartographically
across languages.

   Rudy

    mailto:lexicographylist-digest at yahoogroups.com
    mailto:lexicographylist-fullfeatured at yahoogroups.com