[Lexicog] part-of-speech subcats

Ronald Moe ron_moe at SIL.ORG
Fri Mar 13 20:07:50 UTC 2009

Hi Sebastian,

Modern dictionaries treat POS subcategories in a separate field. For
instance the Longman Dictionary of American English puts the subcategory
after the first sense number. (Their pronunciation field is IPA which I'm
too lazy to duplicate.)

liberty /'librti/ n 1 [C,U] the freedom to do.

C = 'count', U = 'uncounted'.

If a verb has more than one subcategory, it will be specified after each
sense number:

lighten /'laitn/ v 1 [T] to reduce the amount. 2 [I,T] to become lighter. 4
[I,T] to reduce the weight.

T = 'transitive' I = 'intransitive'

I think the reason for this is that students are taught the meaning of
'verb' and 'noun' in school. The subcategories are separated so that the
serious student has the information, but it isn't going to confuse the
lazy(?!) student who only wants to know the primary category. Labels like
'nC' or 'vi/t' are less likely to communicate.

MDF was great in its day, but has proven to be (1) limited and (2)
inflexible. The CC tables that it uses were far too complicated and
impossible for anyone to modify. All standards are somewhat inflexible by
their very nature. Some of the newer standards (e.g. LIFT) are attempting to
use a better model of the lexicon and to take into consideration the wide
range of linguistic typology.

With MDF you have two options. (1) Hijack an unused field that prints like
you want it to. It is often difficult to find a field that prints where and
how you want it to, so this rarely works. (2) Store your information in a
custom field. Then, just before you print, modify the database so that it
will print like you want it to. This requires using something like a CC
table to merge two fields and add printer codes. You have to be a bit of a
computer guru to pull this off. You do have a third option: (3) Use a
different program. For instance FieldWorks allows you to set up POS
(grammatical) subcategories, but also allows you to specify how each
subcategory will print. Because FieldWorks uses a POS hierarchy, there is no
problem with the interlinear. Subcategories inherit from their parent
category. So you can write general rules that apply to the major categories
and all the subcategories under them.

Ron Moe

  _____