[Lexicog] News and Offers from TshwaneDJe

Jan F. Ullrich jfu at LAKHOTA.ORG
Thu Mar 19 09:55:40 UTC 2009

Dear Ken,

Thank you for your review of TshwaneLex. I was very interested in reading it.

About four years ago and seriously considered moving from Toolbox to TshwaneLex but after very careful consideration I didn’t.

My main problem was the data entry procedure which I felt was significantly more time consuming and complex in TshwaneLex, since adding fields is a hierarchical process involving mouse clicks and dialog boxes. In this regard I love the simplicity of Toolbox especially since I can create an entry and enter data pretty much without touching the mouse. And I never really had a problem keeping the filed hierarchy consistent in toolbox. But Toolbox has its shortcomings, so I keep checking the new developments of TshwaneLex and wondering whether or not it is time to move our dictionary database to that software, especially for the sake of those features that Toolbox lacks.

Would you be able to share your perspective on the data entry process in TshwaneLex in comparison to Toolbox? And do you know if they made the data entry process less mouse oriented?

Thank you

Jan Ullrich

Lakota Language Consortium

www.lakhota.org