[Lexicog] Re: News and Offers from TshwaneDJe

langwijmijij anggarrgoon at GMAIL.COM
Mon Mar 23 00:21:44 UTC 2009

A couple of comments:

I've been using Tshwanelex for about 2 years now. I find the data entry is a little slower but considering the amount of time I have spent in Toolbox fixing my own and others' sloppy data entry, it'll probably work out even (or quicker). It's a little hard to tell also because I've been compiling an English-Language side of the dictionary at the same time.

Another thing that's been good about Tshwanelex and irritating in Toolbox is that it's much easier to split information that's the property of the lexeme from information that belongs to subproperties.

Finally, although this is probably for another topic, I think we could do with thinking about the lexicographical model that Toolbox implies. For example, it's being used a lot for endangered languages, but second language learners who want to work out how to say something in their heritage language are badly served by the finderlist model.

Claire

------
Claire Bowern
Linguistics,