[Lexicog] palm trees

Wayne Leman wayne_leman at SIL.ORG
Tue May 19 16:09:44 UTC 2009

Greg, if you are attempting to reflect the lexicon of a language, what is
the purpose of using a semantic taxonomy that does not reflect the lexical
relationships of that language?

It seems to me that using an "external" taxonomy to aid English readers
creates a distorted view of the lexical relations within the language, which
includes taxonomic relationships.

By the way, it is not necessary to have superordinate category
classification words in order for a people to have the concept of a semantic
grouping, although it definitely helps. Not every concept that people have
is lexicalized, including in English.

Wayne
-----
Ninilchik Russian dictionary online:
http://ninilchik.noadsfree.com

--------

Hi Ron,

I was not thinking of using a vernacular classification because the
vernacular I am studying actually seems to have few classification words of
levels that I can find. Also, I want my semantic domain list to reflect a
likely folk classification of English readers because it will mostly be
English readers who access the (English) sematic domain list. I know you do
not want an English folk classification. Sorry.

<snip>

Regards, Greg

    mailto:lexicographylist-digest at yahoogroups.com
    mailto:lexicographylist-fullfeatured at yahoogroups.com