[Lexicog] palm trees

Ronald Moe ron_moe at SIL.ORG
Fri May 22 06:08:04 UTC 2009

Dick,

This is good, but I've got two questions. (1) Did this exercise just deal
with the physical universe? (2) Was there any indication that the lexicon
was not hierarchically organized? Put another way, could each category be
subdivided into smaller and smaller categories? (I think of a hierarchy as
being essentially two dimensional.) Or was there evidence that it was more
like a multi-dimensional network?

If it is the latter, then I think the only way to elicit an emic network is
to start with a word (it can be any word) and let the speakers gather all
the words related to it. One word in a lexical set (or domain) will lead to
another which suggests another group of words. One of those suggests another
group. Gradually we will collect more and more domains. Some domains will be
more closely related than others. So even the domains will fall into groups.
In this way we could gradually grow the network. I've found that the DDP
hierarchy cannot capture this network of domains. I would need to create
lots of cross-references between domains. I don't know how to display this
network. In fact I don't have a good metaphor to describe it.

If anyone wants to play around with their emic domains, try doing this as an
exercise. It is sort of like the free association tests that psychologists
like: "I'll say a word, and you tell me the first word that comes to mind."
Only in this case the linguist says, "I'll say a word, and you tell me all
the other words that come to mind when you think of that word."

Ron Moe

  _____