[Lexicog] Tshwanelex DTD Tree

pwyll4 pwyll4 at YAHOO.FR
Sat Sep 19 11:21:19 UTC 2009

Thanks for your answer.
Yesterday night I've modified things and the structure is much clearer now. But new questions have come up. I'll ask them later.
Now I'll answer your questions.

>Which fields are repeating, and which are optional (or both)?

Actually almost all of them are optional, because some entries will just be cross-references to the "main form".

>You seem to have several fields that all have to do with the way a
>lexeme is written or pronounced. I'm guessing that the reason for >both
>an 'Orthographies' field (why plural?) and a 'Pronunciation' is that >the
>orthography is not phonemic, i.e. you can't always predict the
>pronunciation from the written form.

Exactly. I'm working on a dialect of Breton, and Breton has several spellings (especially in the dialectal group I'm working on) and many pronunciation variants for every word.

>That's understandable, but what
>are the Variants?

For example, the verb "to eat" may be both "debriñ" and "debro". I'll use "debriñ" as the main entry, and "debro" will cross-refer to "debriñ".

>Dialectal variants? If so, do you want to label them
>with the dialect that they come from?

I'll indicate the dialect and the speaker after every phonetic transcription and every example etc, that's what I call "Source" in my dictionary.

>Also, there is a single Pronunciation field for the lemma (citation >form
>or stem, or maybe these are the same?),

well there will be several pronunciation fields after the lemma - I'll make that feature repeatable.

>but under the Morphology element
>you have both Pronunciation and Forms. This doesn't seem to be
>parallel--what does the Forms field do?

It would be useful to indicate the pronunciation of plural forms, past participles etc. For example, the infinitive of "to do/make" is "gober", and the past participle is "gwraet". I have to say how both are pronounced.

>How are you deciding which morphological variants to include: only >the
>irregular ones, or all of them?

The plural forms are not predictable (and may have variants, sometimes), the past participles are not always predictable either, etc.

>For the ones you include, how are you
>notating their morphosyntactic properties (plural, past tense,...)?

Past tense forms are predictable for almost all verbs : once you know what is the past participle, you can guess all the verbal morphology. For nouns, you just need the plural form. For adjectives, sometimes the comparative and superlative, and so on.

>Also, you have Homonym Number and Sense Number. I would have guessed
>that Tshwanelex would supply these automatically (and update them if >you
>add, delete or re-arrange senses or homonymous lemmas); but maybe >not.

I've solved that problem. Homonym numbers are supplied, but the sense numbers, when supplied, are sorted one after another in the same paragraph, like this:

1. First meaning
2. Second meaning
Example for the first meaning
Source for the example for the first meaning.

Tshwanelex put the meaning together and the examples after, I don't know how to change that, so I've chosen to put the Sense Numbers by myself -- till I find the way to change the "auto-sorting"...

>Part of Speech appears twice: once where I would expect it, as an
>immediate daughter of Lemma, and once embedded down inside Sense. >That
>seems odd. I think the former is more normal.

Sometimes the same noun is feminine or masculine according to its precise meaning ; many verbs have the same form and are both transitive and intransitive : if I want to give examples of both in separate paragraphs, I think I need to make two paragraphs.

Thanks again for your help. I'll ask more questions later today (maybe I'll solve some of them before tonight).

Regards,

Loig

    mailto:lexicographylist-digest at yahoogroups.com
    mailto:lexicographylist-fullfeatured at yahoogroups.com