[Lexicog] Tshwanelex DTD

pwyll4@yahoo.fr pwyll4 at YAHOO.FR
Tue Sep 22 12:11:55 UTC 2009

Hello

>>"debro" will cross-refer to "debriñ".

>These are dialectal variants, right?

Not always, I mean the same speaker may use either debro or debriñ to say "to eat", without any difference in meaning.

>Since dialect and speaker are two different things, I would suggest

>creating separate fields for them, e.g.

    >source

       >|----dialect

       >|----speaker

This is what I do, I use an abbreviation of the name of the place plus a number that says what speaker said the word/sentence. Eg. "Gd1" means "first speaker of my list of speakers from Guidel". In the abbreviation list at the beginning of the dictionary, I give the name of these informators;

>Why are there several pronunciation fields after a single lemma?  You

>already accounted for dialectal variants in your Variants element (at

>least if my guess above is correct), and you account for morphological

>forms in the Morphology field (see below).  What additional variation in

>pronunciation do you have?

The same word may be pronounced in different ways within the same parish, and even by the same person (especially when speaking slowly or quickly), that's why I give several pronunciations.

>> 1. First meaning 2. Second meaning Example for the first meaning

>> Source for the example for the first meaning.

>To be blunt, I think that's unwise, and I don't know any dictionary that

>does it that way.

I didn't say I wanted it to be that way, I said Tshwanelex did it that way in my dictionary -- but actually it was my fault, I made a mistake in the DTD - I've solved it now.

Ok, thanks for your answers.
I have asked new questions on Saturday (messages 5078 and 5079). I'm sorry for asking so many questions within a weekend...
Thanks again,
Regards,

L.