[Lexicog] Seeking articles about online dictionaries and reviews of online dictionaries

Heather Souter hsouter at GMAIL.COM
Tue May 11 04:17:13 UTC 2010

Ayukii, taanshi, Susan!

I don't know when you joined the lexicog list but just a few days ago, there
was this post by Dr. Sarah Ogilvie.

The Endangered Languages and Dictionaries Project at the University of
Cambridge investigates ways of writing dictionaries that better facilitate
the maintenance and revitalization of endangered languages. It explores the
relationship between documenting a language and sustaining it, and entails
collaboration with linguists, dictionary-makers and educators, as well as
members of endangered-language communities themselves, in order to
determine what lexicographic methodologies work particularly well
pedagogically for language maintenance and revitalization.

In addition to developing a methodology for writing dictionaries that are
more community-focussed and collaborative in their making, content, and
format, the Project is creating an online catalogue of dictionary projects
around the world. If you would like your dictionary to be included in the
catalogue, please fill out the Dictionary Survey at
http://www.lucy-cav.cam.ac.uk/pages/the-college/people/sarah-ogilvie/elad1.php
or contact Sarah Ogilvie at svo21 at cam.ac.uk. We really hope you will want
to participate, in order to make the catalogue as comprehensive as
possible.

--
Dr Sarah Ogilvie
Alice Tong Sze Research Fellow

Tel. Office (+44) 01223 764018
Tel. Mobile (+44) 07540 133790

Here is some information on Dr. Oglivie....

Dr Sarah Ogilvie[image: Dr Sarah Ogilvie]

Alice Tong Sze Research Fellow

Lucy Cavendish College
Lady Margaret Road
Cambridge CB3 0BU

Tel. (+44) 01223 764018

Email: svo21 at cam.ac.uk<svo21 at cam.ac.uk?subject=Sent%20through%20your%20webpage%20link>

Research interests
Dr Sarah Ogilvie is Alice Tong Sze Research Fellow at Lucy Cavendish
College, University of Cambridge. She is a linguist and lexicographer whose
interests include endangered languages, language typology, World Englishes,
and language documentation and revitalization.

Her current research looks at Endangered Languages and
Dictionaries<http://www.lucy-cav.cam.ac.uk/pages/the-college/people/sarah-ogilvie/elad1.php>,
investigating ways of writing dictionaries that better facilitate the
preservation and revitalization of endangered languages. This project
combines her previous research on endangered languages (she wrote a grammar
and dictionary of an endangered Australian Aboriginal language for her MA in
Linguistics at the Australian National University) with her recent research
on dictionaries (her D.Phil in Linguistics at the University of Oxford
examined the treatment of loanwords and World Englishes in the *Oxford
English Dictionary*) and her experience as a professional lexicographer. Her
teaching includes general linguistics, sociolinguistics,  varieties of
English, research methods, linguistic anthropology, field methods, corpus
linguistics, and lexicography.

She is a member of the Advisory Board of the World Oral Literature
Project<http://www.oralliterature.org/>University of Cambridge, and
co-founder and member of the Executive
Committee of the Cambridge Endangered Languages and Cultures
Group<http://celc.org.uk/>
.

You probably know all of this already, but I am sending it along to you on
the off chance you don't.  (I am excited that you are doing an MA in library
science!  Good for you!)

Eekoshi pitamaa.  That is it for now!
Heather