[Lexicog] plough mud

Frantz, Donald frantz at ULETH.CA
Tue May 25 17:37:26 UTC 2010

Given Watson's recollection that "pluff" can mean about the same as
"puff' (confirmed at http://www.definitions.net/definition/pluff), and
the many euphemisms for flatus that have similar origins (e.g. fluff,
vent, pass wind, break wind, etc.), combined with the fact that the
marshes called "pluff/plough mud" are like the eastern shore of San
Francisco bay, giving off unpleasant gasses including hydrogen
sulfide, I am convinced that the mud is named for its smell.