[Lexicog] plough mud

Rikker Dockum rdockum at GMAIL.COM
Tue May 25 17:23:51 UTC 2010

David,

In addition to regular Google searches, date restricting within Google Books
can help pinpoint when each spelling might have come into use. Google Books
doesn't have *every* book, of course, but it is a decent dipstick to go by.

"pluff mud" date:1801-1850<http://books.google.com/books?lr=&q=%22pluff+mud%22+date:1801-1850&btnG=Search+Books>
This returns a single hit, from *Report on the geology of South
Carolina<http://books.google.com/books?id=tTvPAAAAMAAJ&pg=PA136&dq=%22pluff+mud%22+date:1800-1850&ei=_f77S47nKpiUlAT4xtmmDg&cd=1>,
1848:*

> It is called "pluff mud," and when dry it resembles this shale more nearly
> than any substance that I have seen.

"pluff mud" date:1851-1900<http://books.google.com/books?lr=&q=%22pluff+mud%22+date:1851-1900&btnG=Search+Books>
This returns 20+ hits, mostly from academic journals.

Applying the same technique with "plough mud" the earliest instance in
Google Books where it is used as a noun phrase is found in the 1898
novel *Simon
Dale*<http://books.google.com/books?id=aKYiAAAAMAAJ&q=%22plough+mud%22+date:1801-1900&dq=%22plough+mud%22+date:1801-1900&ei=4gP8S_m2EozolQS2vLXpDQ&cd=7>
:

> My stay in Norwich, if it had not made me a Londoner, had rubbed off some
> of the plough-mud from me,

Moving forward in time, "plough mud" between
1901-1950<http://books.google.com/books?q=%22plough+mud%22+date:1901-1950&btnG=Search+Books>
returns
only two instances from later printings of the same book. After
1950<http://books.google.com/books?lr=&q=%22plough+mud%22+date:1951-2010&btnG=Search+Books>
another
31 instances are found (but note that several clarify that it is pronounced
"pluff"). By comparison, there are more than 200 hits for "pluff mud" after
1950<http://books.google.com/books?lr=&q=%22pluff+mud%22+date:1901-2000&btnG=Search+Books>
.

Based on this, it would appear that "pluff mud" is the older spelling, is
consistently more common in writing, and has always been the pronunciation.
Why the spelling "plough mud" would have arisen, I can't say.

Best,
Rikker Dockum