[Lexicog] plough mud

David Frank david_frank at SIL.ORG
Thu May 27 18:13:26 UTC 2010

The Scots-Irish settled in this area. I (and also Dick Watson) live in a town in North Carolina where U.S. President Andrew Jackson was born, of Scots-Irish descent. Charleston is several hours southeast of here by car, in South Carolina, but the Scots-Irish settled all around this area, in the original 13 colonies. A bigger concentration with their identity more intact is in Appalachia, several hours northwest of here by car.

My friend Michael Montgomery has worked on dictionaries of both Appalachian English (I believe he referred to it as Smokey Mountain English), and related Ulster-Scots. I see an article by him listed in the Wikipedia article on Scots-Irish, also called Scotch-Irish. (See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scotch-Irish_American.)

-- David Frank

From: lexicographylist at yahoogroups.com [mailto:lexicographylist at yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Dick Watson
Sent: Thursday, May 27, 2010 9:09 AM
To: lexicographylist at yahoogroups.com
Subject: RE: [Lexicog] plough mud

Richard Gravina asked, " Are there strong Scottish connections in Charleston?"

Histories of the early immigration to Pennsylvania and down through the Shenandoah to the Carolinas tell of a great many Scots who had earlier moved to northern Ireland under the British government's program of settling as many Protestants there as possible in order to strengthen Britain's claim and hold. Unfortunately, many of the promises turned out to be false and people were suffering and many moved back to Scotland or directly to the new promised land. So many Scots came to America and specifically to the Carolinas via Ireland or back through Scotland.

Articles that I read on the pluff mud of Charleston referred to Irish settlers, but I think further research would show that most were Protestant Scots. (I've been told of an earlier immigration of Gaels from Ireland to Scotland, but I don't think that is relevant to the immigration to the Carolinas.)

Dick