[Lexicog] Re: comp lexicography books

Mike Maxwell maxwell at UMIACS.UMD.EDU
Sat Apr 23 17:05:54 UTC 2011

On 4/23/2011 8:58 AM, Piotr Bański wrote:
> Apart from that, I'm indeed working on a TEI-ISO booklet
> (monograph...let), but that is still the next thing to be done,
> after that proceedings volume. *However*, there is going to be a
> workshop on TEI and lexica that I believe Laurent Romary and myself
> are going to organize (mailing Laurent right now to confirm), and if
> this works, I'll be sure to let you know. It will/should/may be a
> pre-conference event in Würzburg[1] in October.

Sounds interesting.  The topic came up at work as I was explaining the
difference between a TEI-like representation of a dictionary, where the
elements more or less matched objects in the print dictionary, vs. an
LMF-like representation, where the structure is flattened--e.g.
sub-entries become entries on their own.  (I hope I'm not
mis-representing LMF here!)  One implication of an LMF-like
representation is that the distinction between a root-based dictionary
and a stem-based dictionary becomes a matter of "views," with obvious
importance for Arabic dictionaries, among others.  Oddly, I can find
little published discussion of this, which seems to me at least to be a
fundamental distinction.  And that's what I was tossing out the idea of
describing in some sort of book-length publication, discussing not only
the differences, but also the motivation.

Of course, I'd be glad to find out I'm just unaware of published
descriptions of this!
--
	Mike Maxwell
	maxwell at umiacs.umd.edu
	"My definition of an interesting universe is
	one that has the capacity to study itself."
         --Stephen Eastmond

    lexicographylist-digest at yahoogroups.com
    lexicographylist-fullfeatured at yahoogroups.com