[Lexicog] Re: online publishing

Jan Ullrich jfu at LAKHOTA.ORG
Sun Apr 24 08:03:08 UTC 2011

  > On Panlex it may be worth knowing about Peter Austin's experience,

> recounted in this blog item: http://www.paradisec.org.au/blog/2011/04/theyre-out-to-get-you-or-your-data-at-least/

I think that the copyright and fair use issues mentioned in Peter Ausitn’s blog are only one part of the problem with such sites on multiple language lexicons. The quality of the lexical data and its presentation is, I believe, another one. This is particularly an issue for small and endangered languages that often don’t have standardized orthographies etc.

I would also like to share our experience with on-line publishing.

We published the New Lakota Dictionary both in print and online.  Each version has its more or less obvious pros and cons. The online version is much easier to update, we update it two or three times a year. You can see the online version at this address: http://lakotadictionary.org/phpBB3/nldo.php

Note that clicking on any word within an entry (e.g. in example sentences) will take you to its entry, either English or Lakota. We have been working on an integrated lemmatizer so this works on inflected words too, although it is still work in process so not all word forms are recognized yet.

The lemmatizer works also within texts that are in the discussion forum of our dictionary site. You can see a sample here: http://lakotadictionary.org/viewtopic.php?f=20 <http://lakotadictionary.org/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=2212> &t=2212 – double clicking on any of the words in the blue text (Lakota) will give you the appropriate Lakota entry of the online dictionary. If you double click on English words the English entries will be displayed.

We are a small non-profit organization working towards documentation and revitalization of Lakota. The online publishing of our dictionary is not terribly expensive, definitely miles less costly than publishing the hard copy.

Jan