[Lexicog] collaborative dictionary editing

Susan Gehr susan at GEHR.INFO
Wed Aug 10 05:40:01 UTC 2011

Toolbox does not allow multiple people to work on the same database file at the same time.  Nick's solution for editing the data collaboratively is the best idea that I've heard since I started using Toolbox actively in 2003.  I've never heard any alternatives, except for switching to FLEx.  Is collaborative editing working in FLEx?

If there is no real-time collaborative editing solution, then when working as a team, some planning is required.  There are a few options for the team work process, but I will only describe the process that I've used.

1. A is the keeper of the master database.  B will work from a copy of the database.
2. Every so often (monthly?), A will grab a copy of B's ___ dictionary database file.
3. A enters the date she grabbed the copy on the file exchange date list in Notebook.
4. A will compare B's version to her version.
    In Toolbox, A opens the master dictionary database and the copy side by side.
    Using the Filter feature on the copy, A hides all records not edited since B started work on the copy or since the date of the last file exchange.
5. A incorporates the changed records into the master database.
6. A is the only one who can delete records from the master database.  If B wants to recommend a record for deletion, he should type the word DELETE into the \lx field after the lexeme.  A will see the record and delete the record from the master.
7. A will provide an updated copy of the master to B.  It's easiest if no changes are made in between the time A grabs the copy and provides the updated copy, which means that prompt work on A's part is important, and perhaps that the copy grab takes place on the last day of B's work week.

I've heard of the suggestion that people work on separate parts of the database only, but that has never seemed like an acceptable solution to me or anyone I've worked with.

Susan Gehr
http://karuk.org/
http://dictionary.karuk.org/