[Lexicog] english word lists

Martin Benjamin martin at KAMUSI.ORG
Thu Aug 25 12:58:17 UTC 2011

I'm compiling a file of various "essential" lists of English words to
use as a reference point for determining common concepts for a
multilingual dictionary. The lists that a term belongs to will be
associated with the dictionary entries, so you'll be able to
cross-reference, for example, Swadesh list glosses for any language in
the dictionary.

Are there any lists not included below that should be added? Some of the
lists below are based on frequency, some on core concepts. All can be
cited for flaws or subjectivity. But in the aggregate, they at least
provide a pretty good starting point for what someone would want in a
bilingual dictionary with English, and potentially could be a useful
tool for study across languages.

I'll put the final file online as a google doc and send a notice with
the address to Lexicog.

So please, what lists would you include, and how can I access them? Here
are those I've got already:

Comparative African Word List (SIL)
Reading Teachers List (1000 words from corpus frequency)
http://kamu.si/qNfQDA
Clear English Most Commonly Used Words (US) http://kamu.si/riVPsV
General Service List (1995 version) http://jbauman.com/gsl.html
Dolch http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dolch_Word_List
Swadesh http://kamu.si/nO2jyA
Ogden's Basic English (extended) http://kamu.si/pgGDhs
Academic Word List http://kamu.si/oSlYet
VOA Special English http://www.manythings.org/voa/words.htm

Many thanks,
Martin Benjamin
martin at kamusi.org

Dr. Martin Benjamin
Executive Director, Kamusi Project International
http://kamusi.org

Full contact information, social networks, blog and photos:
http://about.me/martin.benjamin

    lexicographylist-digest at yahoogroups.com
    lexicographylist-fullfeatured at yahoogroups.com