[Lexicog] Christmas puns

Hayim Sheynin hayim.sheynin at GMAIL.COM
Tue Dec 27 23:51:07 UTC 2011

Dear Nick,

The Jews, especially in Ashkenazi tradition, use crackers during the
holiday Purim and also tell dirty jokes, mostly related to a biblical
figure of Haman (see
Book of Esther) and his house.
I suppose "droll" is (at least linguistically) an equivalent of German
Troll.
It is interesting, that in some dialects of Russian, e.g. in Vologda
dialect,
the word *drolia* [drolja] means "sweetie". This might be derived from
common Indo-European heritage.

Best,
Hayim