[Lexicog] Standardized Electronic Dictionary Format

maxwell maxwell at UMIACS.UMD.EDU
Thu Feb 2 20:51:48 UTC 2012

On Thu, 2 Feb 2012 09:11:28 +0100, Sébastien Druon
<druon.sebastien at gmail.com> wrote:
> I am looking for a standardized electronic dictionary format.
> I know of the XDXF format, but I am not sure the project is very
active...

> Do someone know of other projects/standardization efforts?

Depends on what you're trying to do.  Someone already mentioned the TEI
"encoding" for dictionaries, which is broadly intended to represent print
dictionaries, potentially including their formatting.

At a more abstract level, there is the ISO TC-37's Lexical Markup
Framework (LMF).  This is intended to represent the content of
dictionaries, and abstracts away for example from the distinction between
root-based and stem-based dictionaries.  There's a brief summary here:
   http://www.lexicalmarkupframework.org/
Earlier (but, I think reasonably complete) descriptions are available in
the link at the bottom of that page.  The final complete description is
available as a publication from ISO:

http://www.iso.org/iso/iso_catalogue/catalogue_tc/catalogue_detail.htm?csnumber=37327
The specification intentionally does not provide an XML schema, although
it should be easy enough to create a schema from the model (or rather, from
the parts of the model that are relevant to your particular use case).  The
idea is that if the model matches between two different XML
implementations, then it is trivial to convert the XML tags of one into the
tags of the other.

Two other standardization efforts for dictionaries are OLIF
   http://www.olif.net/
(I haven't seen any changes there is a few years, not sure if it's
active), and LIFT:
   http://code.google.com/p/lift-standard/
There's also an effort to map between LIFT and LMF:
   http://titus.fkidg1.uni-frankfurt.de/relish/Justin.pdf

You may also run across references to SFM (Standard Format Markers) and
MDF (Multi-Dictionary Formatter, an early sort of standard for SFM-based
dictionaries).  This precedes XML, and should be considered a legacy
format.  (There were, for example, no close-element tags in SFM.)

   Mike Maxwell
   U Maryland

    lexicographylist-digest at yahoogroups.com
    lexicographylist-fullfeatured at yahoogroups.com