[Lexicog] lexical relation for boar - sow?

Dick Watson dick_watson at SIL.ORG
Sun Feb 26 11:39:19 UTC 2012

I had not heard of 'gender pair' and have been using 'counterpart'. I may switch to 'gender pair' now as it seems to be more easily understood.

Dick

  _____

From: lexicographylist at yahoogroups.com [mailto:lexicographylist at yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of lengosi
Sent: Sunday, February 26, 2012 2:12 AM
To: lexicographylist at yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [Lexicog] lexical relation for boar - sow?

Thanks for the responses! I'm sorry, but I should have indicated that this is not an English dictionary. I'm trying to help a colleague with a dictionary of an Oceanic language. What I wrote here were glosses, so the hypernym probably isn't as crucial as it might otherwise be.

I can appreciate what you mean about lexical relations being a "messy field", Ron. Especially when one doesn't use a constrained database program (e.g., FieldWorks). My friend has used Toolbox and there are a host of instances of "Syn" being used on one side of a 'lexical relation' and "See" on the other... It's going to be a huge amount of work for him to tidy that up. :-( He also hasn't used semantic domains, so, unfortunately, your suggestion isn't going to work. I'll suggest 'gender pair' and see what he thinks.

Thanks again for your help!

Paul