[Lexicog] Re: lexical relation for boar - sow?

lengosi pcunger at MSN.COM
Mon Feb 27 20:18:21 UTC 2012

Thanks for the explanation of different kinds of antonyms, Richard. I found that helpful. I guess it works to a certain extent for the pair boar and sow. But on the other hand: if not sow then {boar | barrow (neutered male) | gilt (female that has not given birth)}... There seem to be too many options for them to be complementary antonyms (which you described as a 'pair' relationship). As I think of it 'gender pair' also seems to be limited in this regard. Ron, you're right--this is a mess! Is 'counterpart' too loose to describe their relationship? It seems to have the advantage of not being limited to a pair.

Paul

    lexicographylist-digest at yahoogroups.com
    lexicographylist-fullfeatured at yahoogroups.com