[Lexicog] Re: lexical relation for boar - sow?

Ronald Moe ron_moe at SIL.ORG
Mon Feb 27 22:05:26 UTC 2012

I've been working with lexical relations and semantic domains for over ten
years, analyzing the relationship between words, classifying them into
domains and lexical sets, and puzzling over odd words. The concept of
lexical relations is a very useful one, but I've found that it is also one
that can be misleading.

Lexical relations are used to indicate the relationship of words in a
dictionary. We use them in cross-references. It is nice to indicate the
relationship more precisely than just a plain cross-reference:

boar n. male pig. complementary antonym: sow

(or)

boar n. male pig. gender pair: sow

(or)

boar n. male pig. female: sow

(or)

boar n. male pig. cf. sow

(or)

boar n. male pig. see: sow 'female pig'

The question for me is what is most helpful for the user. For a "popular"
dictionary I would prefer the last example above as a way of indicating
lexical relation cross-references. As linguists we may like our technical
terminology. But I don't think they are always so helpful to our users.
FieldWorks enables us to do it all. FieldWorks enables you to indicate the
technical term for the lexical relation in your database and export it for
publication. FieldWorks also enables you to indicate the technical term in
the database, but export the dictionary with a generic "cf." or "see" with
or without a gloss for the cross-referenced lexeme. You can produce any of
the formats above or even:

boar n. male pig. complementary antonym: sow 'female pig'

I might choose such a format in a technical bilingual dictionary.

Lexical relations are also used to analyze derivational affixes. The
root:derivative relationship is often, but not always, a lexical relation.
Being able to label the lexical relation helps in describing the morphology
and glossing/defining derivational affixes.

Lexical relations are also used to help in analyzing semantic patterns. For
instance Robert Hedinger and Richard Gravina mention "complementary
antonym". Richard mentioned the test "If not X then Y." If "complementary
antonym" is a viable lexical relation, then there should be patterns of
syntactic and semantic behavior that are shared by all members of the
lexical relation. Similarly "gradable antonyms", such as big:small, should
fit in frames such as "very (big)" and "neither big nor small, but in
between" (compare: *very male; *neither male nor female, but in between).
Examples of the "converse" relation fit the frame "John sold the bicycle to
David," and (with the same referential meaning) "David bought the bicycle
from John." For a lexical relation to be valid there should be a set of
frames and tests that can be applied to all examples of the lexical
relation. So if you are going to develop a list of lexical relations for
your language, you should develop your own list of tests and frames for each
lexical relation that is valid for the language. You can't just borrow a
standard list, although a standard list is a nice place to start.

One of the problems with lexical relations is that many pairs of words are
obviously related, but the relationship is not one of the standard lexical
relations (e.g. rain:umbrella, rain:rainbow). So our standard lists of
lexical relations are insufficient to describe all the relationships between
lexemes in the mental lexicon. That doesn't mean the concept is invalid or
unhelpful. It's merely inadequate.

Ron Moe

  _____