[Lexicog] A quick question about capitalising domains/fields.

Ronald Moe ron_moe at SIL.ORG
Tue Jun 5 22:28:25 UTC 2012

I only capitalize the first word of my domain labels. It would probably be
better to capitalize all the words (except function words). I find that I
need to enclose a domain label in quotes to indicate when the label ends.

Roget's Thesaurus uses all small caps for domains to distinguish them from
lexemes.

Ron Moe

  _____

From: lexicographylist at yahoogroups.com
[mailto:lexicographylist at yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of amsler at cs.utexas.edu
Sent: Tuesday, June 05, 2012 12:27 PM
To: lexicographylist at yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [Lexicog] A quick question about capitalising domains/fields.

I think domains/fields should have initial capitals in keeping with
the treatment they receive in library classification schedules and
book titles. Usage labels are normlly lowercase except for any proper
nouns (countries, languages, etc.) they contain. The 'and' in
something like "Building And Construction" (and other function words
(between content words)) should be lowercase as they would be in a
title.

Quoting David Joffe <david.joffe at tshwanedje.com
<mailto:david.joffe%40tshwanedje.com> >:

> Hmm, FWIW, I think I've more commonly seen the latter (i.e.
> lowercase).
>

> On 5 Jun 2012 at 15:37, Michael Beijer wrote:
>
> To: lexicographylist at yahoogroups.com
<mailto:lexicographylist%40yahoogroups.com>
> From: "Michael Beijer" <michael at wordbook.nl <mailto:michael%40wordbook.nl>
>
> Date sent: Tue, 05 Jun 2012 15:37:44 -0000
> Subject: [Lexicog] A quick question about capitalising domains/fields.
> Send reply to: lexicographylist at yahoogroups.com
<mailto:lexicographylist%40yahoogroups.com>

>> I am wondering whether it is more common, when writing out domains
>> (or fields / subject areas,
>> etc.) to capitalise or not. As in:
>>
>> Domains:
>>
>> Accounting
>> Advertising industry
>> Aerospace engineering
>> Agriculture
>> Airconditioning
>> Archeology
>> Architecture
>> Art
>> Astronomy
>> Audio
>> Audits
>> Automotive
>> Aviation
>> Banking
>> Belgian Corporate Law
>> Biology
>> Botany
>> Bookkeeping
>> Building And Construction
>>
>> OR
>>
>> domains:
>>
>> accounting
>> advertising industry
>> aerospace engineering
>> agriculture
>> airconditioning
>> archeology
>> architecture
>> art
>> astronomy
>> audio
>> audits
>> automotive
>> aviation
>> banking
>> belgian corporate law
>> biology
>> botany
>> bookkeeping
>> building and construction
>> casting
>>
>> ---
>>
>> The latter is slightly quicker to type when enterring in the meta
>> data in a term base entry in
>> memoQ (my TEnT), and I was wondering what other people prefer.
>>
>> Michael

  _____

size=1 width="100%" noshade color="#a0a0a0" align=center>

No virus found in this message.