[Lexicog] The future of our field, Part 2

Gilles-Maurice de Schryver gillesmaurice.deschryver at UGENT.BE
Sun Nov 11 14:51:50 UTC 2012

[ Apologies for cross-postings. ]

And here Ken Litkowski's reaction:

-----Original Message-----
From: Ken Litkowski [mailto:ken at clres.com]
Sent: zaterdag 10 november 2012 21:46
To: lexicographylist at yahoogroups.com
Cc: amsler at cs.utexas.edu; Gilles-Maurice de Schryver; EURA;
DSNA at yahoogroups.com; afrilex at freelists.org; asialex at freelists.org
Subject: Re: [Lexicog] RE: [afrilex] Re: [DSNA] FW: Macmillan's recent
announcement

As a fellow computational lexicologist, I would like to second Robert's
suggestions and add a few more, inside and outside the box.

Inside the box, we examine the content the lexicographers have provided us.
Thus, all of Bob's suggestions, and there is probably more. In about 1995,
in a chat with George Miller, he lamented that he could only include a
relatively small number of relations (compared to previous work he had
done). Perhaps we could look to the full battery of Mel'cuk's lexical
functions, as well as still other unmined data (e.g., dates for encyclopedic
entries of people).

Outside the box, we can attempt to incorporate recent efforts that are not
usually included in standard lexicographic practice. For example, Patrick
Hanks, in his efforts at corpus pattern analysis, is including ontological
values for verb arguments, reflecting the patterns he sees.

This moves us into the linguistic domain, capturing arguments as in VerbNet.
And still further, we reach the frame semantics of FrameNet.

FrameNets are mushrooming for non-English languages as well. Wouldn't it be
nice to see, not only definitions of words in context, but also the frame
elements that we should expect in examining a word. Atkins & Rundell have
provided a glimmer of this in their guide to "practical lexicography."

Here's to a superdictionary of the future.

     Ken

--

Ken Litkowski                     TEL.: 301-482-0237

CL Research                       EMAIL:  <mailto:ken at clres.com>
ken at clres.com

9208 Gue Road                     Home Page:  <http://www.clres.com>
http://www.clres.com